Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Veggies!

Veggies are awesome & I’ll give you four good reasons why: Corn, Peppers, Cucumbers & Strawberries (which are technically fruit).  Don’t believe me?  Check it:

Seriously, check it!
I took these delicious vegetables (and fruit) and made a dinner that was - if I may quote the cool kids - the bomb!

First, the salad.  Along with the peppers, cucumbers & strawberries, I tossed spinach leaves & feta into a big bowl, mixed it up and sprinkled it with a simple dressing of olive oil, lemon juice & S&P.  It broke down to approximately 1/4 cup of olive oil and the juice from one whole lemon (medium sized).

The finished product looked like this:

 
Admit it, you find this sexy.









 I took that corn up there in picture number 1 and very simply boiled it.  I learned a long time ago to be very careful when boiling corn on the cob and to keep an eye on it.  This batch of 3 cobs cooked for a total of 25 minutes, including the time it took bringing the water to a boil.  I checked it periodically with a fork to ensure it didn't over cook.

The fresh veggies were the star of this show, but they had a damn fine co-star:

Tenderizing in olive oil, pepper & sea salt
Soooooo, that was supposed to be a picture of the finished product, but, um, I accidentally ate the finished product before I took said picture.  No, no no, I did not eat both steaks.  I had help.  Geez guys.

Although I deprived you of a picture of the finished steaks, I can tell you how I prepared them.  I let them tenderize in olive oil and S&P for about 45 minutes, then broiled them at 450 for 4 minutes on each side.  This brought them to medium rare - which I like, but cook accordingly if you like more well done steaks.  Big tip: Never cut into the steak unless it's with intentions of stuffing it in your mouth.  Jab it with a fork and let the juice color (ewww...that sounds gross, right?) guide you to cook it more or commence stuffing.

So, that's it!  With the exception of the time spent chopping vegetables (and listening to The Avett Brothers), this dinner required a minimum time investment and was fantastic.  If you're not big on the "make it yourself" dressings, I recommend the Tuscan Italian from Trader Joe's.  It was delicious on the left over salad anyway.

What's your favorite salad combo?  Tell me!  Also try the one mentioned here.  I think you'll like it...unless you're allergic to one of the ingredients, in which case, don't be lame.

Peace, Love & Greens.

Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment